This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2007-12-23

Norton Protection Center won't open

I click on the Symantec icon, but it won't open.
I right-click and then click on Open Norton Protection Center, and it still won't open.
I dig through the Start Menu and click on it there, and it still won't open.

For no apparent reason, it won't open.

I have to reboot to wake it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. I can't find anything about it on Norton's site. I hate having to reboot all the time just to launch this program.

Did you ever find a solution?

Anonymous said...

No explicit solution as such. I ended up removing NIS07 from my old desktop PC running XP.

If you want to keep the stuff on your PC, then perhaps you could use their help line (but be prepared to take an hour or more).

Another option is to uninstall and reinstall. But then you need to re-download hundreds of MB of updates.

All in all, it is a very poorly designed software.

Anonymous said...

Clarification/correction to above, this incident was on my Vista laptop. It repeated again at least once, see posting with the Hong Kong skyline and endless 'click click click'.

No explicit solution.