This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2007-12-23

What is the point?

After Automatic LiveUpdate grinds away in the background for almost ten minutes, it finally stops. So I bring up the Norton Protection Center and some of the indicators show that some files are still not up to date. So I run LiveUpdate manually and it finds a whack of things that are not up to date.



So what the hell has it being doing for the past ten minutes?

With high speed Internet it only takes a few minutes to download everything, but it has been cranking away in the background for ten minutes. What the hell is it doing?

Is it spying on me? Is it sending all my files to some secret underground lair? I'm just asking... I mean, it obviously hasn't been running LiveUpdate to any worthwhile effect, so what the hell has it been doing?

No comments: