This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2008-01-18

NIS'07 refuses to open...

Well, I knew it wouldn't last...

Tonight Norton Internet Security 2007 on my laptop refuses to open. Clicky-clicky no worky-worky. There's no rational explanation. Everything else works. I just thought maybe it was time to run Brain-dead Update. But it appears I'll have to reboot because the Symantec programmers are idiots.

Hong Kong at night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happens to me all the time; I've got '08. That and it runs COH32.exe and causes my system to basically stop running for ten minutes at a time. Oh, better yet, when it's running a scan, sometimes COH32 will kick off at the same time, and the system will essentially shut down for 2 hours. You have to walk away and scream. Running XP, 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, so no issues with lack of resources. So Norton goes away this weekend (after three months of trying, and using Norton for many, many years)