This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2008-09-04

New 'annoying feature' report

NIS 08 on my Vista desktop PC.

I'm on another user's account and browsing around the C: drive seraching for where-in-the-flipping-hell Google squirreled away the Google Chrome browser executable. I thought they would have put it in plain sight. I just wanted to put a short-cut so that the other user could use it. But Google didn't make it that simple. I guess each user must install their own copy.

In the course of searching, I opened a folder (later determined to be the MS-MRT program folder). Being on another account, I had to enter the Admin password to gain access to the file.

On my...

The system locked up while a very long green bar slowly scrolled across the address bar. The green bar slowed perceptibly as it neared the end. It took forever.

I suspect that NIS 08, having seen that the MRT folder was unlocked, jumped in to run a virus scan. And made me wait and wait, in spite of having already tried to move the focus to another folder.

I'm not positive this is Symantec's handiwork, but it has all the hallmarks.


No comments: